The feds will not fund a $6 million project to repair a stretch of beach where dozens of Sea Pines homes sit at risk following damage from Hurricane Matthew, a Hilton Head Island town official said Monday.
Town officials have said it is critical to repair the mile-long portion of South Beach where about 250,000 cubic yards of sand washed away during the October storm.
Hilton Head town manager Steve Riley previously said the town believed it would receive funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to cover up to 75 percent of the cost to repair that section of beach.
But that won’t be happening, Scott Liggett, the town’s engineer and director of public projects and facilities, said Monday. He said the town will have to pick up the total cost.