Emails show state had ample warning of staffing shortages at NH Hospital
CONCORD - While Gov. Chris Sununu and Human Services chief Jeffrey Meyers appeared to be shocked by the news of staffing shortages at the state psychiatric hospital, emails suggest that Meyers and the people who reported to him were well aware of the problem long before Wednesday's bombshell announcement and the forced resignation of the hospital's CEO.
Officials at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health Care Systems, which holds a $36.5 million staffing contract to provide medical personnel at the state-run facility, said they were as surprised as anyone by the state's actions last week.
Josh McElveen, Dartmouth-Hitchcock vice president for communications, says D-H officials have been in regular communication with the state about staffing challenges at New Hampshire Hospital, and were blindsided by the quick departure of hospital CEO Robert MacLeod and the formal notice of "contract non-compliance" sent by Meyers on May 2.
Sununu has ordered the state attorney general to review the contract and any other compliance issues. The state might also seek some form of reimbursement from Dartmouth-Hitchcock. "We've been paying for a full staff and not getting it," Sununu said.