Blue Bell gets hit with another lawsuit over listeria-laced ice cream
The mother of a teenage girl is suing Blue Bell, saying that her child was exposed to listeria bacteria after eating the company's Ultimate Neapolitan ice cream two years ago.
Lyddia Sheppard-Antwine's attorneys filed the lawsuit in Tarrant County civil court late Wednesday, claiming that her then-11-year-old daughter suffered with nausea, diarrhea, fatigue and other ailments after eating the treat.
Her daughter was briefly hospitalized at Cook Children's hospital, and eventually recovered from the incident. But Sheppard-Antwine is seeking as much as $75,000 in damages for her medical expenses, pain and suffering as well as mental anguish.
In 2015, Blue Bell Creameries shut down all three of its ice cream factories, laid off 1,450 employees and put another 1,400 on furlough after its products were linked to three deaths and several cases of listeriosis in four states.