Mayor Martin J. Walsh says his administration may have pared the threat of painful cuts to the 2016-17 Boston Public Schools budget down from $30 million to less than $5 million — a surmountable gap he hopes to close with the Senate’s help.
“Right now we’re looking at a less than $5 million cut in the school budget,” Walsh said yesterday. “At some point we have to make some difficult decisions. You just can’t continue to put money into a situation that’s not working.”
The mayor said a helping hand from state legislators could go a long way.
“Certainly we were hoping through the budget process to get some additional revenue into the school department. We weren’t able to get fully on the House side exactly what we wanted, but we did get an increase in Chapter 70 (school finance) money, so we’re going to be working with the Senate now to get an increase. If we get an increase we could certainly close that gap,” he said.
The City Council’s Committee on Ways and Means already has hearings set for May 23 and June 6 addressing BPS’ proposed $1 billion budget, which already prompted one student walkout earlier this year and at least one online petition urging officials to fully fund BPS.